Friday, December 9, 2011

Finally working on the Bathroom!....

I hate our bathroom. Actually, I hated our bathroom now I'm able to tolerate it. And soon I think I'll actually like it.

I randomly decided to write about this so I just have pictures from my camera phone to give you an idea of what I'm dealing with:


There were these awful upper cabinets over the claw foot tub along one wall and another set of cabinets on the opposite wall where the toilet and vanity are. They looked like kitchen cabinets chillin' in a bathroom!?

And the best part is they were completely not functional! They were mounted so high you could not even reach them - and we're TALL - I'm 5'11" and The Hubs is 6'4"!


The good news is that my brother has since ripped these uglies out (sorry no after pic at the moment!) and I can finally finish priming and painting the bathroom! (I think this will be my 12th room I'm painting?!)

SO, Big Bro is also moving the vanity light up a good two feet so I can fit this guy in as the mirror!



Isn't he gorgeous?! Very New Orleans of me if I don't say so myself ;) He's 4' tall and oh so fabulous! Got him for $100 on Magazine Street (I sold 2 mirrors on Craigslist in order to get him). I'm debating on keeping him gold or spraying him white...

Like this:


And installing a more modern sconce above it... like this but turned sideways...


Sutton Double Wall Sconce vie Restoration Hardware

Here are some inspiration photos via Pinterest as far as what I'm thinking...


I like the idea of the bathroom below but it also drives me crazy how there are two sinks and the mirror is centered between them! I'd rather a rectangular mirror turned so it covers both sinks. And lucky me I have 12' ceilings to work with, looks like this bathroom is 8'??


Below is one of my all-time favorite bathrooms. THAT  MIRROR!! I don't have that kinda budget but this is just FAB!


Hopefully at least the mirror and lighting will be finished this weekend so I can show you the improvements! What do you think - keep mirror gold? (it's a reproduction so it's not like I'd be ruining some antiqued gold mirror) or paint it white? Oh and the bathroom will be painted BM Decorator's White...

Let me know what ya thinkin'!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Great find, Betsy! Did you meet Amie the other day? She said she is getting her website up within the week hopefully!
-e (modern24seven)

Katherine said...

I vote for gold.

Ginger said...

If you didn't have a lot of white accent pieces in the rest of the house I would have said white but since you do, I vote gold. I kind of like something unexpected in bathrooms. That sounds wrong, I'm picturing suprises left in the toilet. But you know what I mean.

Katherine said...

LOVE the mirror! I love the idea of painting it white, but I love the gold too. I think it depends on what you do with the rest of the room, other colors you use, etc. Although I think its such a glam piece, I'd leave it gold!
xo